Filippo Tagliati was born in Bologna, Italy. After earning his BA in Humanities from Universita’ di Bologna in 2001 with a concentration in Semiotics and Art History, in 2004 he moved to the USA and in 2007 he received his MFA in Photography from Arizona State University. Currently Tagliati lives and works in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA where he is an Associate Professor in the Visual Arts Department at the Grand Rapids Community College.
Tagliati’s projects are situated at the intersection of photography, video and site-specific installation. He is interested in making connections between history, public space, the urban landscape and seeks to create different distinct perceptions and understandings of them. The use of different media and technologies allows him to both create work unique to the space in which the art is being presented and challenge the relationships between these media.
Tagliati photographic and video projects have been exhibited and screened widely in the US and internationally and his work is included in the Musee Rodin, Paris, France, in several private collections, in the Public Art Collection of the City of Tempe, and both the Northlight Gallery and The Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, at Arizona State University.
Selected Exhibitions and Screenings
- Disharmonic Perspectives, Paul Mesaros Gallery, School of Art & Design, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV (Solo)
- BLOW-UP, International Arthouse FILM FEST, Chicago, IL (Official Selection)
- Installation at Franklin and Madison, SiteLab, Grand Rapids, MI (collaborative)
- Experimental Dance & Music Film Festival, Toronto, Canada (Screening – Best Movie)
- SIFF – Switzerland International Film Festival (Official Selection)
- WorldFest – Houston International Film & Video Festival, Houston, TX (Winner Bronze Remi)
- FICMARC, III Caribbean Sea International Film Festival, Isla de Margarita, Colombia (Screening – Award Best Art Video)
- Speechless Film Festival, Mankato, MN (Screening – Official Selection)
- Rodin and the Contemporary Figurative Tradition, Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, MI
- The Rumsey St. Project, SiteLab, Grand Rapids, MI
- Contemporaneita’ e Fotografia, Palazat, Cavasso Nuovo, Pordenone, Italy
- Nascent Site: Sight, Northlight Gallery, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ
- Alternative Topographies, Salisbury University Art Gallery, Salisbury, MD
- CINESONIKA 4, Fourth International Festival of Innovative Sound Design, Vancity Theatre, Vancouver, Canada
- Fotografia Europea – European Photography, San Carlo Church, Reggio Emilia, Italy
- Disarmonie Prospettiche, Galleria Monty&Company, Rome, Italy
- Flatscape Video Art Series, Baton Rouge Gallery, Center of Contemporary Art, Baton Rouge, LA
- TUFF, Toronto Urban Film Festival, Toronto, Canada